Home is important to everyone.

Housing needs can change over time. Knowing the options, services, and supports available can help you plan for current and future needs.

Below are different options that older adults and people with disabilities can access for safe, affordable housing. These options can meet changing needs while helping individuals maintain independence and care at home and in the community.

Think ahead about housing.
Housing is important but often there’s a waitlist. If you know you’ll be needing housing in the future, please apply now as wait times may be long. MyPlaceCT does not provide housing, only resources to help you find housing and plan for current or future needs.

Independent Housing

Housing for adults who need little or no help with daily activities.

Independent Housing Options

Privately Owned or Rented
The most common housing is one’s own home, whether that is an apartment or house, owned or rented. There are services and supports available to older adults and people with disabilities, so they can keep living in their home as needs change.

Age-Restricted Communities
Age-restricted communities are available for privately-owned or rented housing in settings made for older adults. Waitlist Disclaimer

Accessory Dwelling Units
These homes may be attached to or next to the main home on the property. They provide independent living, often with support.

Public Housing
Housing funded by the government and managed by city housing authorities provides affordable, independent living in communities. There are some housing communities just for older adults and people with disabilities. Waitlist Disclaimer

Private Subsidized Housing
Similar to public housing, these privately-owned and managed housing developments offer rental units funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for residents who qualify. Waitlist Disclaimer

Housing Cooperatives
Housing cooperatives provide a less expensive option since they are owned by a cooperative. This means residents own shares in the co-op and lease units.

Supportive Housing

Low-cost housing that provides flexible support services.

Supportive Housing Options

Congregate Housing
These facilities provide private apartments with shared facilities, a daily meal, and housekeeping. Additional support services may be available. Waitlist Disclaimer

Residential Care Homes
Residential Care Homes provide a private or semi-private room with shared facilities along with meals, housekeeping, and supervision. Additional support services may be available. Waitlist Disclaimer

Assisted Living Facilities and Managed Residential Communities
These communities provide a private apartment with shared facilities. Meals, housekeeping, transportation, and maintenance services are provided as well as assisted living services like limited nursing, personal care, and medication assistance. Waitlist Disclaimer

Adult Family Living
In an adult family living arrangement, an older adult who needs some assistance shares a home with a caregiver, often a family member or a friend. The arrangement is overseen by an agency authorized by the State.

Community Living Arrangements / Group Homes
Homes in the community are shared by up to six people with intellectual disabilities. The State Department of Developmental Services (DDS) or private agencies contracted by DDS manage the homes and provide 24-hour support and supervision. Waitlist Disclaimer

Community Companion Home
These are private homes in which a family provides housing and care for up to three individuals with intellectual disabilities. A community companion home provides support services 24/7.

Life Plan Communities
Provides many levels of care on the same campus. Residents can move from independent living to assisted living or a nursing home as their needs change.

Institutional Settings

Health care facilities with around-the-clock care and support.

Institutional Setting Options

Nursing Homes
Nursing homes are licensed facilities that provide 24-hour care including skilled nursing, rehabilitation, meals, personal care, and supervision to people with unstable or chronic conditions. Waitlist Disclaimer

Regional Centers
Regional centers are facilities for adults with intellectual disabilities that provide full-scale and individualized health care, rehabilitation, meals, personal care, and supervision in a residential setting. Waitlist Disclaimer

Emergency Housing

Temporary housing for those who have nowhere to live. Emergency housing also provides basic needs including food, hygiene products, and a place to sleep.

Emergency Housing Options

Emergency Housing

Individuals who are homeless or at risk of homelessness can access emergency housing support.