Long-Term Support for Veterans

The Veterans Health Administration offers many long-term care services and supports to Veterans enrolled in its health care system. Veterans can receive care at home, at VA medical centers or in the community no matter their age.

Eligibility Criteria

Veterans are entitled to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) system if they have served on active duty for more than 24 consecutive months (without a dishonorable discharge).

Eligibility for long-term care services & supports, provided in any setting, will be determined based on the participants’ need for ongoing treatment, personal care and assistance, as well as the availability of the service. Other factors, such as financial eligibility, service-connected disability, insurance coverage and/or ability to pay may also apply.

To see if you are eligible for Veterans Affairs benefits, review the VA U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Note: Unsure if you classify as a Veteran? Find the legal definition of being a Veteran here.

Types of Support

The Veterans Administration website offers extensive and dynamic information on the following services and topics and more:

Long-term supports and services can be paid through a combination of VA, Medicare and Medicaid and through insurance or your private funds. For more information on paying for long-term care, go here.


While most departing service members know they’re entitled to care through the Department of Veterans Affairs, navigating that system can be challenging. Below are several organizations that can help veterans find and learn more about the services and benefits they may have earned.

The Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs, Office of Advocacy and Assistance provides help to any veteran who served in the U.S. Armed Forces, and their eligible dependents. Individuals can receive assistance in determining eligibility, navigating and filing for veterans’ benefits available under federal, state and local laws from Municipal VA Representatives located in every communityAccredited benefits counselors known as Veterans Service Officers (VSOs) can aid people in the process.

Partnering with a VSO is recommended to ensure the accuracy of claims to accrue benefits and to maximize benefit monies received. These service officers can identify mistakes and omissions in cases rated by the federal VA. In addition, veterans represented by service officers are likely to receive more benefits.

For more information, call the Veterans Info Line at 1-866-9CT-VETS (1-866-928-8387) or visit the Office of Advocacy and Assistance website.

  • Statewide Veterans Organizations (American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Disabled American Veterans) employ VSOs. Visit the Connecticut Department of Labor to view your options.
  • Veterans can also contact their U.S. Senator’s or Congressman’s Veterans and Military constituent liaison with issues regarding their federal benefits or to obtain copies of discharge papers (DD214).
  • A professional or lawyer who serves as ombudsman can also help veterans navigate the process. Find professional help here.

Learn More: Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website for more information.

Apply for Veterans Services & Supports

Applicants for VA Health Care services & supports must complete a VA Form 10-10EZ on paper, in person at a VA Health Care Facility. The application can also be mailed in to:

Newington Campus
555 Willard Avenue
Newington, CT 06111
West Haven Campus
950 Campbell Avenue
West Haven, CT 06516

The VA can be called toll-free at 877-222-VETS (8387), Monday through Friday between 8AM to 8PM Monday through Friday, EST.

Veterans Home Accessibility Grants and Programs
Veterans and service members with eligible physical disabilities can apply for financial assistance to modify their home. These grants, services and organizations provide financial support or directly perform home modifications.

The American Red Cross Assistance for Veterans
Eligible military members and immediate family members can receive financial assistance from the American Red Cross for health care services and insurance, home loans, legal help and emergency funds.

Soldiers, Sailors and Marines Fund
This fund provides assistance for eligible veterans and family members. Funds can be put toward doctors visits, durable medical equipment, financial assistance with rent or mortgage, funeral expenses and more.

Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS)
Veterans, citizen soldiers and family members may be eligible for an array of behavioral health services including outpatient care, counseling, case management, outreach and referral and advocacy.