Parking in Reserved Spaces

The Department of Motor Vehicles issues temporary and permanent parking permits to individuals who have a qualifying disability. These permits, which are for the exclusive use of the person with a disability, give that individual permission to park in spaces reserved for people with disabilities. These spots are usually closest to the accessible entrance and may provide extra space for vans with lifts. The person with the disability can be the driver or a passenger.

If the disability is permanent, the DMV will issue a permit that expires on the same day as the driver’s license or non-driving photo ID card. If the disability is temporary the permit is for six months.

Permits are obtained by completing a “Special Permit Application and Impairment Certificate” (DMV Form B-225) with Section B of the form signed by a licensed physician, registered physician’s assistant, Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN), or in the case of blindness, a licensed optometrist, ophthalmologist or a member of the CT Board of Education and Services for the Blind.

Learn more: Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles website.

Eligibility Criteria

There are specific eligibility criteria to qualify for permanent and temporary parking permits. A qualifying disability affects mobility and involves one or more of the following:

  • Use of portable oxygen
  • Legal blindness
  • Limited use, or no use of one or both legs
  • Inability to walk 200 feet without stopping
  • A neuromuscular dysfunction that severely limits mobility
  • Class III or IV cardiac condition (American Heart Association standards)
  • Severe limitation in the ability to walk due to arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition and
  • Restriction because of lung disease to such extent that forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/Hg of room air at rest.

Services and Fees

There is no fee for a permanent permit. Temporary permits are $5 and can be renewed as long as the person is eligible.

Financial Options for Parking Permits for Persons with Disabilities

Private Pay:
Private pay refers to using personal funds to cover all or a portion of an expense. There are different ways to acquire private pay resources.

Find in Your Area

Both permanent and temporary parking permits are issued by the DMV. Individuals can apply for either type of permit at the Department of Motor Vehicles website.

Individuals should complete Part A of the form to apply for a permanent parking permit or Part B for a temporary permit.

Forms can also be obtained at a local DMV office or by contacting the DMV Telephone Center at 860-263-5700 (Within Hartford) or 800-842-8222 (Elsewhere in Connecticut).