There are a few programs that provide access to financial support for assisted living services for older adults and adults with disabilities who choose to live in a Managed Residential Community or Congregate Housing.

They include:

  • Congregate Housing for the Elderly: Program for low-income elders over the age of 62 who have temporary or periodic difficulties performing one or more ADLs. Generally for older adults who do not need a nursing level of care.
  • Congregate Housing Services Program (CHSP): Provides subsidized housing alongside personal care, medication administration, meals and other services to eligible residents who have difficulties performing at least three ADLs.
  • Assisted Living Program: This is a Medicaid-funded program offered through the Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders (CHCPE) and participants must be eligible for the CHCPE. The Assisted Living Program is open to both Medicaid-eligible individuals and those who are not Medicaid eligible. Persons with incomes over 200% of Federal Poverty Guidelines must contribute to the cost of care.

Eligibility Criteria

Eligibility for the various housing options available to older adults and people with disabilities may differ across financial and categorical requirements. Generally, these assisted living facilities have the following requirements:

  • Individuals must be 65 years of age or older.
  • Must qualify for CT Home Care Program for Elders (CHCPE).
  • The assisted living service agency must be licensed by the CT Department of Public Health.

Types of Services & Supports that can be used for Affordable Assisted and Congregate Living Options

The specific support and services offered may vary between assisted living service agencies, but each generally provides the following:

  • Housekeeping, laundry and regularly scheduled meals
  • Nursing care or assistance with activities of daily living
  • Transportation for certain needs
  • Maintenance service for the living units
  • Social and recreational programs and
  • Security and emergency call systems

Depending on income and assets, the Assisted Living Program may pay the complete cost of an assisted living stay or only the cost of care services in assisted living communities, but not for room and board.



Application processes and requirements may vary dependent on the type of assisted living service agency participants are interested in.

For more information or to apply to these services, follow the links below:

  • CT Home Care Program for Elders
  • Visit the Congregate Housing Services Program website or call (860) 887-3561 (Eastern CT) or (203) 757-5449 (Western CT).
  • Applying for the Assisted Living Program is done through the CHCPE.